Legacy Awards are $4,000 scholarships ($1,000 per year for four years). The Foundation will offer a total of up to 250 awards.
Who is Eligible?
– Any child or grandchild (or step-child, step-grandchild, or legal ward) of a living Elk who joined the order on or before April 1, 2009, or a charter member of a Lodge that was instituted on or after April 1, 2009, is eligible to apply. The Elk must also be a paid-up member through March 31, 2012. Great-grandchildren are not eligible
-The applicant must be a high school senior.
-The applicant must apply online only.
-If the applicant’s parent and grandparent are both Elk members, the applicant must apply through the parent’s Elks Lodge.
-Students may applyfor more than one ENF scholarship; however, they may win only one. In cases where the student qualifies for more than one, we will award the scholarship with the greater value.
-Legacy Awards may only be applied to accredited US American schools, colleges or universities. (Note: Applicants from Guam, Panama, Puerto Rico and the Philippines may apply Legacy Awards toward schools, colleges or universities in their respective homes.)
-Applicants must take the Scholastic Aptitude Test or the American College Test by December 31, 2011.
How do I apply and what are the deadlines?
Eligible students should apply in the following manner:
- Applications will be available ONLINE ONLY after September 1, 2011. http://www.elks.org/enf/scholars/legacy.cfm
- The student must complete and submit the ONLINE application by 12:00 p.m. (noon) Central Standard Time on the February 1, 2012, deadline.
- The Elk sponsor’s membership will be verified through the BPOE Grand Lodge headquarters.
- When a student registers to complete the online application, both the applicant and Lodge Secretary will be notified by email.
- Upon receipt of the application, the applicant will receive a notification that the application was received. Winners will be announced in April 2012.
Note: Because the contest begins in one Lodge year and the winners are announced in the next, a Legacy Award could go to the child or grandchild of a lapsed member. An applicant’s Elk parent or grandparent must be a paid-up member in good standing at the time of application, but if the Elk chooses not to renew membership, that decision will not affect the outcome of the Legacy Awards contest.